The Surfing Madonna Beach Run is a 5K, 10K, 15K, race that is run completely on the hard-packed sand. This year the Guinness Book of World Records is sending judges to officiate our attempt at the world’s “largest beach run”. Join us in setting this exciting new record!
5K (3.1 Miles)
This 5K is absolutely EPIC! You’ll start at Moonlight Beach then head north to along the crashing surf on the hard-packed sand. You’ll turn around just north of famous Beacon’s Beach. Aid Stations will be available with ULTIMA REPLENISHER ELECTROLYTE DRINK & water. When you cross the finish line at Moonlight Beach, you’ll receive a KILLER MEDAL and tons of sponsor hydration refreshments and treats! Then, walk on over to the After-Party in Downtown Encinitas on Hwy 101!
10K (6.2 Miles)
Starting and finishing at Moonlight Beach, this is a famous challenging course for local recreational runners. The first turnaround point will be at Ponto State Beach jetty. There are restrooms and an Aid Station with water and ULTIMA REPLENISHER ELECTROLYTE DRINK. The 2nd turnaround point will be 100 yards south of Moonlight Beach, then you’ll quickly turn around to cross the finish line at Moonlight Beach, where you’ll receive your KILLER MEDAL and tons of hydration refreshments and treats. You’ll LOVE this 10K! There is a 2.5 hour time limit. Then, walk on over to the After-Party in Downtown Encinitas on Hwy 101!
15K (9.3 Miles)
No other 15K like this in California! The entire 15K is on the hard-packed sand passing Beacon’s beach, Ponto Beach, and famous Swami’s Beach. The first turnaround point is located at Ponto State Beach jetty with restrooms and an aid station with water and ULTIMA REPLENISHER ELECTROLYTE DRINK. Heading south, you’ll have tons of course support, water, misters to keep you cool and a GORGEOUS view of the pacific ocean. Your 2nd turnaround point will be located just south of Swami’s Beach. There are restrooms at Swami’s Beach and an Aid Station with water, electrolytes, gels and snacks (M&M’s, etc.) to keep you strong and smiling! You’ll cross the finish line to receive your KILLER finisher’s medal and tons of hydration refreshments and treats. There is a 2.5 hour time limit (16 min/mile pace).
- WORLD RECORD Race Shirt
- WORLD RECORD Finisher’s Medal
- Personalized Bib (must register before Oct 5)
- Sponsor Goody Bag
- Maori Warrior Dance Performance before race
- Fitz Koehler – Most awesome Race Announcer!
- Finish Line Fest: Aloe Cool Down, Snacks, Drinks, Free Massages
- On-course fuel stations with Ultima Replenisher
- On-course Watermelon Mint Lemonade station by Urbane Cafe
- Chip Timed with results texted to you
- Tons of sponsor swag
- WORLD RECORD After Party on Hwy 101 in Downtown Encinitas
- VIP upgrade option (more info)
- 11:00am – 1:30pm: Race Day Registration
- 2:00pm – 1K/5K/10K/15K begins
- 3:00pm – Guided Cool Down Stretch
- 3:15pm – Guinness Book of World Records Announcement
- 2:00pm – 6:00pm – After-Party on Hwy 101 in Downtown Encinitas
NEW ANNOUNCEMENT: All 1K participants will receive a Surfing Madonna water safety coloring book and a free meal at the Old Spaghetti Factory.
The little ones LOVE this 1K! Kids 12 and under will head out for a quick race down the beach (at a clearly marked turnaround point) and head back to cross the finish line and receive their AWESOME Finisher’s Medal.
Every child in the 1K will receive the same finisher’s medal and race shirt as the other divisions. To ensure that every child receives a race shirt, we will have a maximum of 200 kids. Register today to ensure his/her spot.
Parents are allowed to run/walk next to their child but will not receive a medal or shirt.
Course Time Limit for 5K, 10K, and 15K
The 5K must be completed within 2 hours
The 10K must be completed within 2 hours and 30 minutes
The 15K must be completed within 2 hours 45 minutes.
Re-fueling stations (equipped with water and ULTIMA REPLENISHER ELECTROLYTE DRINK) will be located at every mile on the course. Restrooms are OFF COURSE at Moonlight Beach (Mile 0 and 6), Ponto Beach (Mile 3), and Swami’s Beach (Mile 7.5). Please use the restrooms before you start your run/walk.
The Encinitas Lifeguards and a volunteer medical team will be at the start and finish. There will be 2 ambulances stationed on the north and south end of the course. RaceGuards (running medics) will be on the course to provide emergency response. If you experience any medical issue, please go to the nearest water station or sit higher on the sand near the bluff and medical responders will come to assist you.
Timing and Race Results
Your timing chip will be on the back of your race bib! Results will be based on chip time and results will be posted in the Timing Tent near the finish line, online, and texted to the number you provided on your registration form.
Packet Pick Up
Where: Road Runner Sports in Carlsbad
When: Fri, Nov 3 from 12-5pm and Sat, Nov 4 from 10-6pm
You must show your photo ID to pick up your bib, shirt and goody bag. You may designate a person to pick up your bib number but they must present a copy of your picture ID – no exceptions.
Race Morning Bib Pick Up:
Location: Moonlight Beach from 10am to 1pm
Fee: $15 – cash or credit – no exceptions
*Due to the Guinness World Records and timing, Race Day packet pick up will have a fee this year.
Rules & Reminders
- Entry fees are non-refundable, no exceptions. You may transfer your entry to another participant for $10 before Oct 1, 2017.
- You must wear your bib number in order to participate in this race.
- We support fair competition and have a zero tolerance policy for PED’s (Performance Enhancing Drugs). If you are currently suspended or banned from competing, you will be ineligible to win an award. Any use, or prior use that affects your performance day of the race, of drugs, alcohol, performance enhancing medications or methods, or having an unfair advantage will grant you immediate disqualification from this competition.